I got some summer squash in my Hungry Harvest box a few weeks ago and wanted to use my inspiralizer that I got for Christmas from Dan’s parents but haven’t used much. I found this recipe for Spiralized Yellow Squash with Basil and Mint from the inspiralized website. Perfect. Except I needed basil and mint. So the next time I was at the store, I endeavored to purchase those… but could only find basil! At two stores, actually. I bought basil at the first, so I had to use it regardless. The recipe only called for a tablespoon, so I decided to make a dressing/vinaigrette out of it instead of just chopping the basil onto the squash noodles.
I mostly followed this recipe for Basil Mint Dressing from Baked Bree, though I also consulted this one from Low Carb Maven. Since I didn’t have mint, I just used all basil. I also used the delicious Dimitri olive oil (read more about it here) that one of Dan’s colleagues gave us for the holidays. So good.
I then used it on spiralized (and slightly steamed) summer squash with some Shredded Beef & Onions (from Stupid Easy Paleo).
I also used it as dressing for some salads I made for lunch last week. The salads had celery, carrot, lacinato kale, sunflower seeds, and I added some of the same shredded beef & onions when serving.
And… I’ve still got some leftover. It’s been a minute. I don’t know if it’s still good. I’ve never really been sure on this. Do homemade vinaigrettes with organic matter in them go bad? I should go sniff it maybe.
In other food news, I feel sort of flush with perishable fruits and vegetables right now. This morning, I had to write them all down and think about how I would use them. Most are from my most recent Hungry Harvest box or the previous one. Here’s what I came up with, more or less:
- Green onions – use in the paleo pad thai I’ve already mostly prepped for dinner.
- Cucumber – use in lunch wraps (post coming soon) and a cucumber tomato salad.
- Portobello mushrooms (2) – use in lunch wraps and tonight’s paleo pad thai. Not sure what else.
- Small orange citrus – not sure what these are. Need to just eat as a snack.
- Blood oranges – also need to eat as a snack.
- Apples – snacks.
- Celery – I ate a couple sticks as a snack earlier and told Dan to eat some. I think he had some with hummus.
- Bananas – will need to cut up and freeze soon if I don’t eat them. (Then I use them in smoothies!)
- Collard greens – used a couple for lunch wraps, need to figure out what to do with the rest.
- Snap peas – use in tonight’s paleo pad thai.
- Carrots – used some in the lunch wraps and I think Dan used some with hummus. Need to use more.
- Watercress (one bunch) – I made green tahini sauce this morning (a mix between this recipe and this recipe, both from Bon Appetit – I didn’t have parsley, mint, or cilantro so just made with the other ingredients). I then used that sauce on the lunch wraps I made.
So, you know. Progress. Those are just the most immediate things. There’s also some spinach, peppers, onions, and potatoes that need to get eaten. But those require less thought/creativity. Still. Gotta get eating!